In honor of my being broke, I am posting the article below, for all of you to read.
I would call most of it common knowledge, so I’m going to preface it with my own money saving tips.
If you pay for laundry:
- Don’t. Just never wash anything (except undergarments, obviously you scuzz!) Unless it has a stain, or smells like a marathon runner’s thong post race, it can go a few more wears sans wash.
- Bra’s should only be hand washed anyways, so shower with them. It saves hot water.
To save hot water:
- Shower with a friend. Seriously. Two 20 minute showers, turn into one 20 minute shower. Do the math.
To save on heat:
- Do that funny saran wrap thing to your windows. Yeah, it looks hood, but it’s better than trying to oil heat your front yard.
To Save on food:
- Meal plan. I’m working on this idea, and when I have a good way to do it, I’ll let you know. Also, I operate by the standard that if it doesn’t smell, have mold, or lost it’s original consistency, it’s fine to eat.
- Soup that’s a month or so past date? Just boil it. Remember, if you’re going to cook something at 400 degrees, then anything growing on it will probably die.
- Frozen veggies are your friend. Frozen fruit too. In fact, buy in bulk and freeze it all. Is fresh better? Obviously, but frozen is better than starving.
- Buy raw. All that pre-made shit is. . .well, shit. And while it may be cheaper now, for the amount you can buy raw, you’re rarely saving that much. AND your medical bills will be higher later.
*WARNING* I’m a vegetarian so I can’t personally verify how well this works for meat or dairy.
- Frozen veggies are your friend. Frozen fruit too. In fact, buy in bulk and freeze it all. Is fresh better? Obviously, but frozen is better than star
- Thrift Shop! Seriously you can find everything from a thrift shop. Where I live, people are far more likely to appreciate a well curated outfit, made with original pieces, over the latest trend from the mall.
- Borrow from your friends. (with permission)
- Get drunk BEFORE the bar. (BUT ONLY IF YOU HAVE A DESIGNATED DRIVER or if you’re walking.)
- If you go to the same bar frequently, get friendly with your local bartender. Do a shot with them, talk to them, go on off nights, and you’ll watch your bill drop.
TOM AND NOAH, IF YOU’RE READING THIS, I MISS YOU, AS MUCH AS YOU MISS MY STEADY BUSINESS. SEE YOU WHEN THE SEMESTER ENDS MY LOVES.
To save on fun:
- Be creative. If you live in a city especially, there is always free shit to do. Google, check chamber of commerce sites, check your local (and usually free!) publications or the community boards in local shops.
- Split your drug purchases with a group. Besides, if you take them alone, there is a greater chance of you having a problem and it’s probably less fun.
- Buy boardgames. Boardgames and tequila are a match made in heaven.
Check out the original article below, by The Daily Finance, for their tips.